A little while back some of my open water blogger buddies posted their 2011 swim schedules and I wanted to play along but I wasn’t sure what I’d be able to get away with this year. I went pretty deep on 2010′s swim tour so the swim fund is running a little low and I’m going to have to get creative this year! Anyways, here’s my list of where I want to go… how many of these are going to happen I have no idea but a boy can dream right? :)
- Santa Barbara Channel (Anacapa to Oxnard) 12.4 miles – June? - my buddy Dave VM did this swim last year and really enjoyed it. I went and listened to him talk about it at a Central Coast Triathlon Club meeting not too long ago and decided that I’d really like to give it a shot as well. I’m thinking that this would be a rad 30th birthday present to myself… we’ll see!
- Great Salt Lake Open Water Marathon Swim 8.12 Miles – June 11th – this one just sounds all kinds of interesting… 8 miles in super salty water with some major buoyancy-tastical properties compared to just regular sea water!
- Noblesville 25k – Indiana – June 18th – 25k dude… that’s some serious distance! Luckily they decided to move the race up into June when the water will hopefully be cooler than what we endured during the 10k champs back in July.
- Luleå Midnight Swim 1500m & 3000m – July 1-2 – I heard about this one today and it totally captured my imagination! There’s two races and both of them start at 11:45 PM, which in July in Sweden happens to be broad daylight! I used to live in Sweden and would love to use this as an excuse to return to Scandinavia and see some friends and speak some Swedish. If anybody wants to go and bring a Swedish Speaking Swim Interpreter I’m your guy!
- Kingdom Swim 10 miles – Vermont – July 9th – this is one of the few sure things on my list because I already paid for it! I still need to figure out how to get to Vermont, but my entry and kayaker are all ready and paid for.
- Naples Island Swim 1.25 miles – July/August? – this is the swim that started it all for me! I’ve been to it 3 years in a row and been a sponsor the last 2. If I can help it I will be on the beach ready to hop into Alamitos Bay whenever this event happens to go down this year!
- Santa Cruz Rough Water & Cruz Cruise – late July – I’ve done the rough water twice and the Cruz Cruise one time. Both are fun and well run. I like this swim because I’m a former Monterey resident and this is an excellent excuse to visit the bay for a while.
- Pennock Island Challenge 8.2 miles – Alaska – August – 8.2 miles in cold water in Alaska? What about this wouldn’t I like? The desire to do this one is high but so is the cost to get there…
- Lake Tahoe Crossing 11 miles – August, TBD – My friend Karen invited me up to do a crossing this summer and there’s no way I could say no to that! We still need to workout which weekend and stuff like that, but I’m really stoked to get that swim under my belt. I’ve never even been to Tahoe before so I think that this would an awesome first impression!
- Madison Open Water Swim 2.4 miles – Wisconsin – August 20th – I’m a native Wisconsinite so anytime I can sneak in a trip to the homeland it’s a good deal for me… well as long as it’s not winter, they can visit me instead when it’s snowing :)
- Maui Channel Solo 9miles – September 3rd – My training partner Niel planted the seed on this one… the Avila swim group put together a relay a couple years back and we’re starting to look at one for 2011. I would probably gravitate more towards a solo crossing, but either way I’d just like to do some swims in Hawaii!
- Big Shoulders 5k – September 11th – I’ve been to this race 2 years in a row and would love to do a 3rd swim at Ohio Street Beach. Chicago is a great town, Big Shoulders is an awesome event, and one of my favorite open water people (Evan from FreshwaterSwimmer.com) is a local which makes it even more fun
- Catalina Channel - October? - admittedly this is aiming a little high, I’m not sure if Catalina is in the cards just yet. I got to spend a little time in the Channel with the Swim22 relay last year and I have to say I could definitely see myself doing the whole thing one day.
- CIBBOWS Veteran’s Day 5k – November – I loved my whirlwind Brooklyn adventure this past November and given the chance would go back in a heartbeat for some fun in cold water with the gang from CIBBOWS!
So there’s my list… 15 swims, 7 of them marathon swims, in 8 different states and two continents! After a quick review of my finances I’m thinking large portions of this may end up getting pruned a little bit :) But if I happen to have any independently wealthy swim fans or random businesses that have always wanted to sponsor a slow, fat, but moderately charming swim blogger now is the time!
On top of my own swims I’m hoping to be able to ride along and crew on friend’s swims here on the California coast. If I’m lucky I might be able to get in a few dips in the Catalina and Santa Barbara Channels while supporting my friends.