So I had this ridiculous idea in my head that over a few months slowly turned into a reality… I decided that I wanted to take the blog on tour like a garage band and hit a whole bunch of open water swims all over the country. What’s the point of living if you don’t have fun right? So instead of sitting at home and thinking man wouldn’t it be cool to travel all over just to swim, I decided to actually go do it and see what happens!
In my head I pictured a sweet RobAquatics tour van traversing the countryside, but unfortunately I have a day job so instead I’m just going to rack up a lot of frequent flyer miles! Here’s the tentative schedule for this summer:
- USMS 1 Mile Open Water Championships, Lake Norman, Charlotte, NC – May 29
- Swim Around the Rock (3.25 miles), San Francisco, CA – June 5
- USMS 1–3 Mile Open Water Championships (1.5 miles), Lake Del Valle, Livermore, CA – June 6
- Chesapeake Bay Swim (4.4 miles), MD – June 13
- USMS 3–6 Mile Open Water Championships (6 km), Lake Water Valley, Windsor, CO – June 19
- Avila Beach “Martini” Swim (2.4 miles), Avila Beach, CA – June 27th
- USMS 2-Mile Cable Championships, Chris Green Lake, Charlottesville, VA – July 10
- USMS 6+ Mile Open Water Championships (10 km), Morse Reservoir, Noblesville, IN – July 17
- Santa Cruz Rough Water Swim (1 mile), July 31
- Cruise Cruz (2 mile), Santa Cruz, CA – August 1
- Naples Island Swim (1.25 miles), Long Beach, August 15
- Don Burns Corona del Mar 1 mile swim, CA – August 28
- Big Shoulders (5k), Chicago, IL – September 11
Outside of my Open Water Tour I’m also going to Wisconsin for their State SCY Championships in April, Atlanta for USMS SCY National Championships, and the US Aquatic Sports Convention in Dallas. It’s going to be a busy year! There’s one swim that I really want to do this summer as well that’s not listed on the schedule… a pier to pier swim from Pismo Beach to Avila Beach here on the Central Coast of California where I live. There’s no organized event that does it so I’ll have to organize my own oceanic expedition for this one… so that gets a big TBD for a date for now.
Since coming back to swimming through Masters swimming I’ve fallen in love with the open water. I want to share my enthusiasm for the sport with the world and hopefully turn a few new people onto open water for fun and competition. In the course of the summer I’m hoping to get a chance to meet a lot of you that read the blog in person and put some faces to the names I see in my comments!
Putting together a tour like this is a big deal logistically and financially. I’d really like to highlight blueseventy who shares my enthusiasm for open water swimming and has stepped up as a corporate sponsor! I’m really excited to have the support of a company that I like personally and who I think is an excellent corporate citizen of the swimming community.
Go Swim and LiveSwim have also given me a lot of support and I’m really thankful to those guys for helping me pull all this together. I’m still looking for some additional supporters to help me put on this tour. If you happen to be in a position to sponsor a swim touring blogger you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org