One of my favorite programs for USMS members is Go the Distance. The concept is really easy, how far can you go? It doesn’t matter how fast you do it or what type of pool you swim in, actually you don’t even need to swim in a pool… as long as you’re in water and moving forward you’re good to go. Like other USMS events it’s broken down by age group, but unlike other events it’s free.

In the summer of 2009 GTD started offering an online fitness log, or FLOG, for you to track your workouts. I really like this feature because it lets me update it from wherever I happen to be at the moment. You can access the FLOG feature via MyUSMS and you can check out this old post of mine that shows you how to log a workout.

Last year I swam just short of 220 miles, I was aiming for 250 but life has a tendency of getting in the way of the pool sometimes. In 2010 I want to go 365 miles. It’s just a mile a day, easy right?

If you haven’t tried Go The Distance before I really recommend it… it’s very easy to use and you’ll get hooked on tracking your progress through the year. Even though monthly results are published it’s not competitive, it’s all about challenging and motivating yourself.

Learn more about Go The Distance here

Set up your USMS FLOG here

6 Responses to “Start the New Year with Go The Distance”

1. Erik Sterne says:

Thanks for reminding us. I signed up yesterday.

I'm glad I could be of assistance :) Planning on hitting any SCY meets this year? I'm hoping to sneak in 1 or 2 with PacMasters this season.

3. Erik Sterne says:

I look forward to competing again this year. I hope to visit SPMA this season too. The USF Valentine Affair is one of the largest 1 day meets. 50s and 200s, indoors, big screen for basketball watching between events.

4. Pat says:

Thanks for posting the info on FLOG and Go the Distance. I didn't know it was there. The USMS site isn't very user friendly.

5. Cindy H says:

Hey Rob, Cool, thanks for the link/info. By the way, Congrats on being elected the member-at-large!

Pat – glad I could help! There's a lot of good stuff hidden in the USMS site… the fitness area in particular has a lot of articles that are worth a read but you do have to dig pretty deep to find them.

Cindy – thanks! I'm excited about my new position, I'm hoping to help get some good stuff done!