**Naples Island Swim results are now posted here

Welcome to the CSAM Gun Show :)

Today was my second time out for the Naples Island Swim. As expected the whole thing was excellent! Last year there was around 125 swimmers in the water, this year it was upwards of 210 swimmers!!! Awesome to see so many people out swimming and having fun.

I got to the beach pretty early today just to hang out, talk to people, and do a short little swim to acclimate myself to the water. The water temperature was about 64, not too warm but not that cold after the 59 degree swim I did in Santa Cruz earlier this month. A few minutes before 9 we got our race briefing and not too long after that a siren start. Like last year I hung to the left side near the pier on the start to avoid having to fight for position, I’d much rather swim up the side of the pack then through it. One strategic problem that I didn’t plan on having was being a right side breather. The last time I did this swim I was using more of a bilateral breathing pattern but I dropped that a few months ago. Unfortunately all the boats and islands were on my left for the first half of the swim! I had to breath to the left to make sure I didn’t swim head first into a parked boat or a dock.

I was a lot faster this year and I spent the whole swim in a pack. Even 3/4 of the way into the swim I was still hitting people’s feet and I even got my arms locked up with another dude a few times. The canal portion tightened up our group and I kept getting stuck between two other swimmers but I couldn’t pass them. Intermittently they would veer in from either side of me leaving me no hole to get through. I’m pretty sure it was just a coincidence, but I kept getting stuck. Luckily once we came out of the canal and started heading toward the finish we got a little room to spread out and I moved past one or two people. At the end of the pier I was right up on the feet of some guy and he kicked a huge wave of water right into my mouth, I almost hurled in the bay right there in front of everybody! Luckily no cookies were tossed and I ran myself in to the finish chute. I was wearing my B70 so we played “wetsuit or not a wetsuit?” for a second and then they gave me my popsicle stick with my finish on it. I’m not sure what my time was just yet because just like last year I didn’t look at the clock, I just wanted to get into the chute. It looks like I should be 18th overall and I finished 2nd in my age group. So now I am the 2 time defending 2nd place swimmer in the men’s 25-29 age group for the Naples Island Swim… it’s pretty prestigious if you ask me. If you’re a guy 25-29 and you want a piece of this I’ll see you at Naples Island next year, it’s your last chance to dethrone me before I age up :)

The big bonus of doing the swim for me was that I wasn’t out there all by myself this year, a whole bunch of friends and teammates were out today as well. My Conejo Simi teammates laid down some hot swims and there were some first time open water racers in the group. Julie was the first girl out of the water today in the 1 miler and it was her first time in an open water race! How cool is that? I think everyone from my team placed and went home with a medal. As usual the Grunions put on an excellent event, and I’m looking forward to seeing them again for the SPMA SCM Regional Championships in December and next year’s Naples Island Swim!

Shot of the beach before everyone else got there

hey there’s everybody

Go

early in the swim, I’m on the left

Running to the finish

CSAM 1 Milers post swim

the view of the Queen Mary from the hotel

12 Responses to “2009 Naples Island Swim Wrap Up”

1. Lacy says:

Nice job, Rob! As always, I love the photos. :)

Thanks Lacy, it sounds like you had a pretty good swim yourself today! I'm lucky that I almost always seem to find a volunteer photographer… my friend Robin gets all the credit for most of those pictures, and Ahelee snapped all the team shots for me.

3. diana says:

Hey Rob it was an awesome swim- I did the 3 miler- and it was my first swim race ever- Very well organized and fun!- Love your pics!!- BTW- do you know how long they take to post results? – Diana.

Diana – awesome! I'm glad you had fun, a 3 mile swim is a pretty bold choice for a first race! I'm trying to talk myself into one right now… I might be back in Long Beach this weekend for a 5k swim, we'll see.

It took a few days for them to get the results online last year so I'm guessing it will be the same this year.

5. diana says:

Thank you very much Rob- I was lucky to have different people taking pics so I have a hodgepodge of pics on my face book account if you want to check them out- search Diana Pacheco- so you will be back this weekend? Cool- a group of us swam the 3 mile course a week before- it was a lot colder then! – Have a great day- Diana.

I think I'll be back, I'll most likely make the call later today. If you add me as a friend (http://www.facebook.com/rob.dumouchel) I'd be all about checking out your pictures from this weekend.

7. Cindy H says:

Thanks for the pics Rob, it was good to meet you! Good luck with the 3-mile this weekend.

Thanks Cindy, it was nice to meet you too! Hopefully I'll run into you at another swim sometime soon.

9. pete says:

What is happening to the race in 2010?

Pete – the prior hosts aren’t able to hold the event so as of right now the SPMA Open Water Chairperson is working on getting this event back online. As soon as we get this thing pulled together I’ll definitely be posting all the details to the site.

11. Kathy Nielsen says:

I swam the Naples Island 3-mile swim, despite the very cold water, because last year it was my best race ever. I haven’t been competing very long, and I wanted to see if I could meet or beat my time from last year. I think I did, but can’t find the results. Would you post on this page where to find the results when they are posted? Thanks. (I placed first in age group, Women 60-64)

Kathy – I don’t know that last year’s results are still available online… it was hosted by a different team in 2009 and when they let the event go the website went down with it. I looked around for them a little bit and can’t track them down, sorry!