Over the weekend I started looking at my times and my overall progress, I’m pretty pleased with my first SCM season. After 10 years out of the pool I managed to get back within 4 seconds of my best 100 fly time with about 4 months of training. Now that I have that base of training and competition behind me it’s time get serious and start planning some real goals for this coming SCY season. If you’re curious where I’ve gotten so far I put a page on the site to keep track of my current best times.
Here’s my list of goals for between here and USMS Nationals in May:
- Break 1:00 in the 100 fly (***I am adamant about this one!***)
- Hit the Nationals qualification times for the 50 free, 50 fly, 100 fly, 200 fly, 200 IM, and 400 IM (some of these are way more in danger of happening than others)
- Increase my weekly yardage and join the Go the Distance program to help keep track
- Lose 10 more pounds (I went from about 250 to 225 between August and December)
- Complete the USMS Check Off Challenge by swimming every SCY event
- Complete a Century (100 miles) on my bike
So some of my goals are pretty lofty but I think I have it in me. Basically I want to catch up to how fast I was in high school and then pass myself. Most of these times I’m chasing have actually happened before, it was just a long, long time ago! I still have a ways to go to match myself in aerobic conditioning but I think I am a lot physically stronger than I was back then. I was all skinny with big shoulders when I was a kid but a few years in the Army added a couple of inches to my chest which I think came in handy. Anyways… I plan to step up my swimming, ride my bike more, and start lifting a lot more.
Regardless, I am really glad that I’ve found my way back into swimming and even if I don’t get any faster I don’t really care because I’m having fun! Plus I’m feeling way healthier than I was just a few months ago.