**Update** If you’re looking for results from UCLA on 18OCT08, they can be found here.

Speedo Jammer, flip flops, t-shirt and a Fedora… ahhh swim meet fashion

I swam at UCLA this morning and it was a good time but my body is aching! My last 3 events were in a very rapid succession and I almost couldn’t get myself out of the pool after my last event. The pool at UCLA was a lot smaller that I had expected and thanks to the excitement of parent’s weekend it turned out to be much more difficult to find than expected. The nice part about it being all walled off the way it is is that it had enough shade for everyone that wanted some to hide from the sun. So hopefully I shouldn’t be all crispy tomorrow like I was after the Davis meet.

My first event was the 100m fly and I was really apprehensive about swimming this race. It used to be my go to event in high school but I haven’t actually swam a continuous 100 fly since high school! I’ve been doing a lot of work on my fly when I practice I just haven’t been doing any distance over 50 yards. I feel I did really well in this race, I lead my heat the whole time and finished in 1:13. The last 25m was incredibly hard however. My muscles in my upper chest felt like they were on the verge of failing on me! I was very glad to be done when I hit the wall and pleasantly surprised to see that I beat my seed time and won the heat. My friend Robin served as my official photographer today and got a lot of great pictures of splashes. Taking pics of butterflyers is kinda hard. She got much better as the day went on :)

My second event was the 50m free. It went well, I hit basically the same time as I did in Davis of about 30 seconds. I really want to get that under 30 soon! The 100m free didn’t go as smooth as I wanted it too. I was really running out of juice at this point. I was shooting for 1:05 but came in at 1:08. I know I can do a lot better, I just couldn’t get those extra couple of seconds out today. The last event was the 50m fly which was literally minutes after my 100m Free. Everyone was super tired because I think everyone in the 50 was also in the 100m free. I lost about .5 to 1 second off my time in Davis on this one and almost couldn’t get myself out of the pool afterwards. They were a little behind on results toward the end of the meet so I won’t have my exact results until they get posted online somewhere. I was also supposed to do the 100m IM but I just didn’t have the energy to do well in it so I dropped it.

After the meet me and Robin went and explored Westwood a little bit and had some well deserved lunch. Tonight were off to get some Korean food and then try to find some metropolitan excitement for this evening.

If you can’t tell which one is me in the pictures, look for the bald head and the farmer’s tan, apparently I’m the only person in South Pacific Masters without a luggage quality tan

The pool at UCLA

50m Butterfly

Making a Turn during the 50m Fly

50m Freestyle

Trying to keep up during my 50m Free

A little more butterfly

One Response to “UCLA SCM Meet Wrap Up”

  1. [...] people at the meet. My buddy Bob from out in the central valley was there. I’ve seen him at UCLA and the SLO Gobbler Classic. He’s like me in that he’s training by himself and using [...]